Top 5 kid friendly bush walks near Tauranga ☀️
Sometimes I feel like the hardest part of getting the kids out for a bush walk, is the time it takes to find a walk suitable. When my kids were younger (<5) and I’d find a good track, I’d keep taking the kids there to help build our confidence and to get them walking a little bit further/faster/slower etc. Each time we went, there was a new “discovery”:
- “haven’t heard that bird before 🐦”
- “oop’s should have brought more spare clothes 👕”
- “those shoes weren’t suitable 🥾”
- “Success everyone happy 😄, hmm … what did I do differently”
My method was, and still is Trial and Error. They don’t always work out the way I’d hoped but I love being out in nature, it feeds my mind, body and soul and that’s something I want my children to feel, enjoy and appreciate, especially as they get older (teens 😬)….. did I mention it’s also free 👍.
Here are our Top 5 kid friendly adventures near Tauranga that just keep on giving every time you go back:
- Aongatete short loop (~1 hour). The Aongatete tracks start at the car park at the end of Wright Road off SH2 between Tauranga and Katikati, towards the Aongatete Outdoor Education Centre. There are various other great walks here too, check out the Department of Conservation for more information.
- Papamoa Hills, Papamoa – You can’t go wrong here with well-preserved Historic Pa (fortification) sites and panoramic views over the east coast and Kaimai ranges. There is also a small stream which offers a great spot for a break. For more information click here
- Puketoki Reserve, Whakamarama – Long or short loop. The stream next to the car park is a great place for the kids to mess around in plus there is a picnic table making this an excellent place to hang out after a stroll in the bush.
- Te Puna Quarry Park, Te Puna – An old quarry transformed into an arty garden paradise! The kids will love this place, its full of wonderful sculptures & art, things to climb on and things to bang!
- Mount Maunganui Base Loop or Summit Track, Mount Maunganui – This popular Mountain provides endless adventure opportunities. Take the base track and enjoy a picnic on one of the many shelly beaches or take one of the many tracks to the top and enjoy spectacular views.
Nga mihi, Anita 🥜