Top 5 adventures with kids- in☀ Gisborne.
- Mahia Beach- Ok so not technically in Gisborne (it’s actually in the Hawkes Bay region) but just humor me. It’s located between Wairoa and Gisborne, the beach is stunning and is known to be a fantastic beach for swimming, surfing, kayaking, surf casting and diving. It was also made famous when Moko the dolphin (who is now sadly dead) chose to hang out there and play with the people in the waves. I experienced this and it was incredible! Walk up Mokotahi hill with the kids for some exercise. There is also a wonderful hot pool-bush walk at Morere Hot Springs.
- Eastwoodhill Arboretum – a magical place to take the kids. There are walks to suit all abilities and a new amazing playground I have yet to check out!
- Grey’s Bush Scenic Reserve– if your feeling a like you need some time in the trees head here with the kids. The short loop ~15 minutes is buggy and wheelchair friendly. If your feeling like something a little longer the long loop takes between 40-60 minutes walking at an easy pace.
- Rere Falls- Picnic spot! If you have older kids or are feeling brave yourself, check out Rere Falls rock slide.
- Wainui Beach- to be honest, a stroll along any of the beaches here, in my opinion, is world class. If you are a surfer you’ll know this!
Other rad things to see or do: Fox St mountain bike trails, Gisborne in general is super bikeable as it is so flat! They also have a cool network of cycle trails. Stand in the water and hand feed the stingrays and kingfish with Dive Tatapouri. Surf, fish, dive!
Happy adventuring! Tammy.