Puketoki Scenic Reserve
- Location: 12kms west of Tauranga, on Leyland Rd (off Whakamarama Rd). This reserve is managed by the Western Bay of Plenty District Council (WBOPDC).
- WBOPDC duration: Short loop: 20 minutes. Long Loop: 60 minutes. Forest Family: Short loop: 10 minutes with older kids, 20 minutes with littlies, Long loop: 1 hr
- WBOPDC track grade: “Tramping track” (or DOC grade- easy)
- Highlights/Features: Part of the track is formed by the old tramline, historical info at the start of the track. We often see kereru (native wood pigeon) and friendly NZ robins, thanks in part to the wonderful work of the pest control group Friends of Puketoki. The Te Puna stream wends its way quietly through it and check out the giant Rimu and Puriri trees! See glow worms at night along the banks on short walk!
- For more info:WBOPDC Puketoki Res
Side notes: Dogs are allowed on leads. The short walk is buggy friendly. Picnic tables and toilets available near the car park.
Click here to read our blog post about our personal experience.