Waimama Reserve, Whiritoa
- Location: Coromandel Peninsula. Whiritoa is a small beach village located 16km north of Waihi township and 13km south of Whangamata.
- Access: Drive to the northern end of the beach to the lagoon, along Fisherman’s bend Rd, at the end of the road is a car park. Walk around the lagoon or wade across to access the track. Alternatively you can drive along Kon Tiki Rd and instead of turning left down Fisherman’s and past the only dairy in town, head straight into Mao Hunter Reserve where you can park and access the public toilets and beach.
- DOC duration: 1 hour return Forest Family: 30 minutes return (with no kids)
- DOC track grade: ? You climb up and over a small hill, it is an uneven surface with steps and trees roots. There are a few places where you can view the ocean along the way but the side is steep, so be aware if your walking with little ones.
- Features/Highlights: Beautiful secluded beach, walking barefoot, rocky coastal platforms. NB: No toilets at this beach.
To read the blog about this walk click here