- Location: Kaimai Mamaku Forest, Bay of Plenty.
- Access: Karangahake Gorge Reserve car park. On the SH2 between Waihi and Paeroa.
- DOC duration: 1hr Forest Family: 20 minutes! *See note below
- Track grade: Easy: short walk
- Highlights/features: Suspension bridges, walking through old gold mining tunnels, views from the “windows”, the scenery and river!
- FYI- You need to bring a torch! * When you cross the first swing bridge you will see a DOC sign saying 1hr to do the Windows walk (clearly this is for those who will be stopping and enjoying the views and reading all of the signs, or perhaps you have a toddler or an older person in your party etc… ) not for those families like ours, who on the day consisted of: two 5 yr old’s, one 7, one 8 and one 11 yr old . Funnily enough when you cross the 2nd bridge just to the left of the 1st bridge, you will find a sign saying the walk takes 20 minutes! Classic.
- Read our blog to learn about our experience on the track